Monday, June 27, 2011

Taking the plunge!

Okay so I am completely new at this blogging thing.  I am sure it is going to take me a while to fully understand it, but as I have learned the past couple of months; taking the plunge into anything is the only way to go.

I guess for this first posting I should explain about myself.  I grew up on a farm.  My dad was the farmer and my mom was the farm wife.  And of these two wonderful people came us three kids.  I am the oldest, then my sister and finally my little brother (which is not so little anymore)!  I think growing up on a farm gives you a good idea about hard work and dedication.  My dad's hard work and dedication came from long hours in the field to make sure that we had a roof over our head and food on our table.  He would leave before we woke up in the morning and wouldn't be home until after we had gone to bed.  My mom's hard work and dedication came from taking care of us three kids, keeping the house in order, bringing food to the field and parts to my dad when something broke down.

I went to elementry school with a bunch of kids from an air force base.  In middle school and high school I hung out with several different groups of kids.  I was in band and choir.  I ran track my freshman year.  I had friends that were cheerleaders and friends that played football.  I would say for most of my school career I felt pretty comfortable in my own skin.  And the really cool thing was that most of my friends had never been around farming.  So it was neat to tell them about a life only I had lived!

So hard work and dedication was passed to us kids by making sure that we studied hard in school, got jobs when we became of age, and paid for things with our money that we wanted.  I can't thank my parents enough for teaching us the golden rule that if you want something you must work hard for it.  It pays off in the long run.

That lesson certainly paid off for me when I went to Kansas State University to earn my bachelor's degree.  I wanted to be a Vet REALLY BAD.  But chemistry was my arch enemy and I learned rather quickly that sometimes no matter how hard you work, things just don't make sense.  I also learned that there are other paths that can get you to where you want to be and if you have the opportunity to take them then you should.  I received a degree in Animal Science and Industry with a Business Option.  It was the best option to continue working with animals (the thing I loved the most right after my family) but have a business background to get my foot into another door. 

Well little did I know that when I graduated I went straight into business and got to work with a differnt set of animals...PEOPLE.  I worked for a medical software company in marketing.  After two and a half years of working there I then started working for Cargill.  I worked in the marketing department there for a couple of years and then moved into production scheduling.  In the mean time while I was working, I met the man of my dreams.  He was perfect in every way and made my heart skip a beat everytime we were together.  I thought at the time that a corporate lifestyle was what I wanted.  I wanted to climb the ladder.  But after I met my future husband all that changed.  I was excited to have the best of both worlds.  Working in dowtown durning the day and then coming home to the farm at night.  What more could a girl ask for, and then one day he asked me to marry him.  My world was perfect.  So I am now married to the man of my dreams and have two beautiful childern.  As for the plunge part of this story; at the end of March I gave my notice so that I could become a stay at home mom and full time farm wife.  My two little one's meant the world to me and I wanted to be there for them.  I also wanted to make sure that I was doing all that I could for the farm because my oldest child wants to be a farmer when he grows up.

So I am finding that taking the plunge into what you love or what you might love is well worth it.  What is holding you back from taking the plunge?

No comments:

Post a Comment