Monday, July 11, 2011

A day in the life of being...Mommy!











I know I have heard the joke...are you sitting around all day, watching soaps and eating bon-bons.  To be honest I would love to be doing that...but guess what, I'M NOT!

A typical day for me starts about 7-730 in the morning.  The kids are normally up around the same time.  This week though my oldest has been falling asleep around 9-930 pm which is anywhere from half an hour to an hour over when he is supposed to go to bed and then turning around and getting up at 6 am.  So I have been trying to coax him to either sleep in daddy's spot or go to sleep in his room until I come and get him.  I know he needs the sleep because by the afternoon of not enough sleep means it can get really crazy here at home.  And not in the fun way.

I try to take a shower first thing in the morning but as my husband can vouch for me that doesn't always get to happen (sometimes night showers work out better).  He is out the door around 6 am to go check on his irrigation. So when both kids get up, we have breakfast.  Then they watch some cartoons like Jake and the Neverland Pirates or Spongebob if he is on (the latter is what my oldest would watch until his eyes fell out if I let him).  While they are watching TV I am trying to get stuff cleaned up.  Basically means picking up stuff that has been left out from the night before.  I also try to get ready for the day and lately it has been working okay.  But somedays it is tough to do because of how the little ones woke up.  The wrong side of the bed for them means the wrong side of the bed for mommy and then nothing seems to work.  By 9 am the kids are dressed and their teeth are brushed.  Then it is time to get the kids to pick up their rooms.  We have about and hour to get things cleaned up before we go to swim lessons for my oldest.  We leave the house at 10 for his 1015-1045 swim lesson.  I might have to add that he is doing a pretty good job at swim lessons.  It took me about four days to be able to sit outside the fence like all the other parents but a little coaxing and some trips to the gas station for candy and I can now sit outside the pool.  I think I feel just as accomplished as he does.
We then get home and eat lunch and put my daughter down for a much needed nap.  She misses her nap by about an hour because of swim lessons.  Some days she is okay but some days it is a race to see how fast we can get home because she is not happy and is letting everyone know so...I wonder where she gets that from (Not me... :)).  After lunch my oldest plays or watches Looney Tunes.  I am either cleaning up lunch dishes or trying to have some mommy time (as in right now) by writing a blog or seeing what is happening out in the world of the internet.  I would say that is the biggest change for me from working to being at home.  I am excited to get emails.  When I worked I wouldn't look at my home emails for days just because I didn't want to see another email.  But now I live for them.  Crazy how things change.
Now after lunch is over it is time to do my daily chore list.  I try to pick one thing to do each day.  I have figured out that picking up I don't mind so much but I have trouble wanting to do house work.  It is one of those necessary evils that isn't ever done.  Also on Mondays I like to go to the grocery store.  It is nice to go early in the morning after the kids wake up because no one is there.  But these past couple of weeks we haven't been able to do that because of swim lessons.  And also because my grocery list has only been partly done.  It is so hard to figure out what to eat.  If I was rich I would do two things with my billions.  I would hire someone to do my hair every day and hire a professional chef so I would never have to cook a meal again.  And now that I really think about it I would hire someone to clean this house top to bottom.  So I guess I would do three things with my billions!

Then about 5 I start making dinner.  I try to pick meals that have everything in them so I don't have a bunch of dishes to clean up but somehow I always have a ton of dishes to do.  Then after dinner it is time to get the kids baths and ready for bed.  The young one goes to bed at 730 and the older at 830.  Most of the time I am pretty tired so I try to veg out but most of the time I don't have all the dinner dishes done so I am working on that.  I would really like to get where I can work out for about 30 mins a day and also do some scrapbooking.  So I am in the process of trying to talk myself into working a little faster through out the day so I can have some more me time.  But when both kids are up and needing attention it is really hard to stay motivated.

Why am I telling you all of this...well it is because I have figured out that life passes you by if you are constantly working or cleaning. And that if you or your house aren't feeling completely perfect you are probably in the same boat as me.  So I say the more the merrier!  My house may not be perfect at all times of the day but I am not missing one moment with my kids.  We are working on if we pull out one toy and want to do something else that we must put that toy up where it belongs.  And I can say so far so good.

So I hope I didn't bore you all to much...but that is really all in a day in the life of being...Mommy!  Exciting I know. :)

1 comment:

  1. I bet you'll get a routine figured out that will work for you. It can't be anything like the chaos of fresh season and I know you worked your way through more than one :-)

    Take care,
    David

    ReplyDelete