Monday, July 18, 2011

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

So this post is an inspiration from one of my good friends whom I used to work with (Thanks Amy for the idea).  Here is how the day for me can change in the matter of seconds, minutes and hours.
The Good:  My oldest is getting lots better in swim lessons.  Today he went from his front to his back and his back to his front all by himself.  He had very little help from the life gaurds.  I think he will probably have to take the same class next year but I think it has given him a really good base for next year.  Now if I can just get over my fear of wearing a swim suit, then maybe we could go to the pool and practice what he has learned.

After the moon dough incident (you will see what that was all about below) I started to vaccuum the rest of the house.  It was good because the kids were running and screaming.  They like to think the vaccuum cleaner is after them.  Now I don't know what makes them think that the vaccuum is going to get them, but I remember thinking the same thing when I was little.  I also took advantage of that idea when my brother was little.  I think I might have chased him under his bed by running the vaccuum after him.  Sorry little brother!  Okay so where was I...oh yeah, I didn't mind the screaming because the vaccuum cleaner is already loud, so what is so more added noise!  While they were running towards the vaccuum and away from the vaccuum, I was asking them to pick toys or decorations up so that I could vaccuum underneath them.  It is always a joy when you can get things done you need to and your kids can have fun at the same time.  I have learned that the more you don't let them help you, the more they want to, so what is a few extra hands cleaning up...you are already cleaning any way.

The kids helped make dinner.  My oldest was stirring the concoction of meat and other ingredients together so we could make meatballs.  My youngest was sitting on the other side of the island quietly eating some fish crackers.  Both being perfectly happy hanging out with Mommy in the kitchen.

And the last part of this good day is when Daddy took the kids outside so mommy could finish cleaning up the dinner preparation dishes and finish the vaccuuming in peace.  It is the small things that makes this mommy's world go round.
The Bad:  The kids were downstairs playing when my oldest starts to bring his moon dough upstairs.  He said mommy I want to play with this.  I told him that I was in the middle of trying to get dinner ready so we would have to wait to play with it tomorrow.  So he very nicely took all that he had drug upstairs back down stairs.  Now you may be saying at this point why in the world is that bad.  Well it is bad because little sister unknown to me was also helping him carry his moon dough upstairs.  If you know anything about moon dough it never dries out.  Therefore I have placed some of the moon dough in ziplock bags as they didn't come with a cute little container like the others.  So as she is bringing it upstairs she has the bag open and is shaking the bag the whole way.  I turn around to look to see who is coming upstairs now and see this horrible moon dough mess all over my stairs.  I call for my oldest and ask him to help clean up the moon dough mess.  And then get out the vaccuum to clean up the rest of the mess that just won't be picked up because it is still in the carpet.  Let's just say I am glad it was moon dough and not play dough.  The moon dough came out of the carpet with ease so I was thankful for that.  Also I would have to say I love my vaccuum just as much.  It cost a pretty penny (something we got sucked into at the State Fair) but it is the best vaccuum I have ever had, hands down.
 
The Ugly: The ugly part of this day started first thing in the morning.  The kids were at each others throats.  They were picking on each other, running around screaming for no reason, and just plain old not listening.  I was just about my witts end.  I was trying to call some pest exterminators (we have unfriendly spiders in the house) to get estimates.  I had to lock myself in my room to get away from all the noise.  No matter how much I begged, pledded or yelled they just kept right on being kids.  I am pretty sure in one of my conversations to my husband I stated that he might have to come home early because mommy might have to be put in a straight jacket from going crazy from all the noise and racket.


Luckly if I look at the day overall, we had more good moments than any other.  I would have to say that even though today started out ugly it sure did end up on a good note.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your day ended on a good note! The vacuum story was too funny! Lily used to be so petrified of the vacuum cleaner, that I couldn't vacuum unless Jeff was home to hold her! Jenny

    ReplyDelete